Serotonin Lab: Undergraduate Research Position
Postdoctoral position investigating the long-term effects of early life stress and antidepressant exposure
Postdoctoral position investigating in vivo neurotransmission
Andrews' Group in the News:
- Today Show Anne M. Andrews was interviewed on the how the brain regulates the body's response to fear! Buzzfeed x Pfizer Science for Kids Nako Nakatsuka was featured in a Buzzfeed video to conduct experiments with kids! C&EN Anne M. Andrews was interviewed on President Obama's BRAIN Initiative in Chemical & Engineering News.
- The Oregonian Anne M. Andrews was interviewed for this piece in the Oregon Live.
- Special Issue of ACS Chemical Neuroscience edited by Anne M. Andrews just came out!
- Andrews' Lab received the Cal-BRAIN Research Award for 2015
- Eicom featured Andrews group's Fast Microdialysis Paper in ACS Chemical Neuroscience
- Special Issue of ACS Chemical Neuroscience - "The Future of Monitoring Molecules" edited by Anne M. Andrews
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission, a UCLA Study Finds - Science Newsline Medicine
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission, a UCLA Study Finds - AANS Neurosurgeon
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission, a UCLA Study Finds - Medical News Today
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission - Science Daily
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission - Medical Express
- Variation in Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission Following Early Exposure to Different Antidepressants - Science Guru
- UCLA Study Finds All Antidepressants May Not Be The Same For Pregnant Women - The Beverly Hills COURIER
- UCLA Study Assesses Impact of Maternal Antidepressant Use on Offspring - The Examiner
- Early Exposure to Antidepressants Affects Adult Anxiety and Serotonin Transmission - The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Nano Goes to Press - Science Spectrum
- Mapping the mind with nanotechnology - The Guardian
- Building nanotechnology tools for brain research - Kavli Foundation Round Table
- Video of President Obama's announcement - Dr. Anne M. Andrews was invited to attend the announcement in person!
- UCLA's organic chemistry program, of which Dr. Anne M. Andrews is a member, is mentioned in the movie, "Guilt Trip"
- Scientists at HHMI's Janelia Farm simultaneously measure activity of 80,000 neurons in zebrafish.
- Brain Research Through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies = BRAIN Initiative
- This BRAIN Initiative is a historic undertaking to uncover how the varied components of the brain, from neurotransmitters to neural networks, interact to produce the conscious and subconscious processes of the mind.
- Some relevant articles: MIT Technology Review, Nature Medicine Q&A, Science Perspective
Andrews' Group News
- Congratulations to Nako Nakatsuka for receiving the Graduate Student Travel Award and Overall Grand Prize at the Brain in Flux Conference in Maintenon, France!
- Congratulations to Leonardo Scarabelli for receiving the 2017 IUPAC-Solvay International Award for Young Chemists, 2017 NANOMATMOL award for the best PhD thesis for 2016 (Spanish Chemical Society) and the American-Italian Cancer Foundation (AICF) Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship from 2017-2018!
- Congratulations to Nako Nakatsuka for receiving the 2017 Dissertation Year Fellowship!
- Congratulations to Cindy Cheng for receiving the 2017 Summer Research Fellowship!
- Congratulations to Nako Nakatsuka for receiving the Hanson Dow Award for Excellence in Teaching!
Our Recent Publications
- Advanced microdialysis approaches resolve differences in serotonin homeostasis and signaling. M. M. Sampson, H. Yang and A. M. Andrews, in Compendium of In-Vivo Monitoring in Real-Time Molecular Neuroscience. A. C. Michael, ed. Vol. 2, World Scientific Publishing, Hackensack, NJ (2016). Neurochips enable nanoscale devices for high resolution in vivo neurotransmitter sensing. N. Nakatsuka and A. M. Andrews, Neuropsychopharmacology 41(1):378-379 (2016). Controlled DNA patterning by chemical lift-off lithography: matrix matters. H. H. Cao, N. Nakatsuka, A. C. Serino, W. S. Liao, S. Cheunkar, H. Yang, P. S. Weiss and A. M. Andrews, ACS Nano (9):11439-11454 (2015).
- Fabrication of high-performance ultrathin In2O3 film field-effect transistors and biosensors using chemical lift off lithography. J. Kim, Y. S. Rim, H. Chen, H. H. Cao, N. Nakatsuka, H. L. Hinton, C. Zhao, A. M. Andrews, Y. Yang, and P. S. Weiss, ACS Nano in press, (2015).
- Sex- and SERT-associated differences in stimulated serotonin revealed by fast microdialysis. H. Yang, M. M. Sampson, D. Senturk, and A. M. Andrews, ACS Chemical Neuroscience in press, (2015).
- Perinatal vs. genetic programming of serotonin states associated with anxiety. S. C. Altieri, H. Yang, H. J. OBrien, H. M. Redwine, D. Senturk, J. G. Hensler, and A. M. Andrews. Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology in press, (2015).
Upcoming/Recent talks and presentations:
- June 14th 2016 - TBD. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- May 29-June 2nd 2016 - The future of monitoring serotonin in vivo. Plenary lecture for Monitoring Molecules in Neuroscience: 16th International Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden
- May 9th 2016 - TBD. Center for Mind, Brain and Computation, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- May 5th 2016 - TBD. Plenary Lecture for the Neuroengineering Workshop, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- April 7th 2016 - TBD. UCLA Neuroscience Integrative Center on Addiction, University of California, Los Angeles
- March 13-17th 2016 - TBD. Symposium on Electrochemical Measurements at Biological Intervaces, 251st National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Diego, CA
- March 7th 2016 - TBD. Student Hosted Colloquia Series, Chemistry Department, Stanford University
- December 2nd 2015 - Decoding serotonin transmission. Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX